Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Proud Member of the Realiiity-Based Community

No, it's not a typo.

And, no, it's the one that's popular to claim membership in. They wouldn't take me: I'm too post-modernist rather than modernist in my epistemology and supernaturalist instead of naturalist in my ontology. (I probably wouldn't want in either -- the goal is to transform the world, not to conform to it.)

Instead, it's Realiiity.com, my favorite Survivor website. It's primarily a message board but also includes cool games, albeit with unfortunately inappropriate names. It's one of a number of spoiling communities: folks who are such dedicated fans of Survivor that we gather together to figure out what's going to happen as many episodes in advance as possible.

At least, that used to be the goal, back in naive days of yore, when spoiling was done primarily through clues drawn from promos, interviews, and editing patterns. Somewhere around S5/S6, things changed, and spoiling became literally spoiling: through various forms of inside information, the boots became known (not merely speculated).

At riii, at least, this lead to a backlash, such that we have a seperate forum for "inside info". In the future, I'll be bringing various Survivor speculations to you. Alas, this week, I made the mistake of checking out this site without realizing that longer term boot lists were still available. So sadly I probably already know the victims for the next two weeks.

But I won't ruin it for the rest of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home