Monday, October 18, 2004

The Kingdom of God (the first, no doubt, of a long series)

Good sermon yesterday. My pastor just started a sermon series preaching through Acts. Yesterday's text was Acts 1:6-11 (look also at 1:3). My memory of it is too shaky now to even paraphrase (I don't want to put words in my pastor's mouth), but in short, it was a warning against confusing the Kingdom of God with the kingdoms of men.

This is a theme that will probably be developed in the blog over time. I have a strong belief that the biggest strategic mistake of American evangelicalism today is its close association with the Republican Party. (And I saw that as a very partisan Republican.)

We Christians are on this Earth for a reason. We have been given a mission: "to go and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19, NIV). To whatever extent we hamper that mission by entangling ourselves unnecessarily in the affairs of the kingdoms of men, we are failing. Unfortunately, defining that extent and determining its necessity are not easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home