Wednesday, October 27, 2004

All Ye Faithful -- Slate on George Bush's 'anti-intellectual' Christianity

This article raises questions that are incredibly salient to me:
  1. What does American evangelicalism's legacy of an anti-intellectual spirit mean for its future development?
  2. What does it mean for American evangelicalism that its most famous member is the President of the United States?
I should have more to say about this article that I do, considering that I hope to someday have a PhD in theology and am very concerned about the politicization of Christianity. But I've wrestled with both before without really coming to a conclusion, and I don't think I'd get anywhere new here.

However, I did want to point to this passage at the end:

On the one hand, [Bush] has brought great comfort to many Christians through his unabashed defense of his faith life. They feel represented at the upper echelons of American society, and less persecuted as a result. They believe Bush's faith has helped provide him moral clarity and inner strength.
I totally relate to those three sentences. As an American evangelical, I am one of those who feels exactly that way. Knowing that Bush is President comforts me in a completely non-rational, deeply intuitive way. It's hard to explain and even harder to defend. But it's true.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home